The best rugged smartphones pack big batteries, boast hardy designs and come with some job- or task-specific features. We’ve done the hard work of testing out all the top handsets designed for intensive or outdoor use, and picked out the absolute best players.
The following rugged smartphones are dust and water resistant, and sometimes are totally waterproof, with cases or shells that are tough enough so you can drop them on hard surfaces without them breaking. Some of these devices will survive any impact, bump or drop without bearing a scratch, making them ideal for use while outdoors or in dangerous environments.
Some of the phones on this list have even undergone stringent tests to ensure they meet military standards and can thus withstand extreme temperatures, shocks and more.
Software on the best rugged smartphone is no slouch either, as most offer extra features that are vital in certain lines of work: some might have infrared cameras, sound level meters, and sometimes even VOC (volatile organic compound) detectors.
So whether it’s your hobby or your profession that is leading you to wild or dangerous places, has you needing a device that’ll last a long time with plenty of features, or simply makes you prefer hardy phones over fashionable yet fragile standard smartphones, the best rugged smartphone is what you need
FACTORS TO CONSIDER WHEN BUYING A RUGGED SMART PHONE
While most people focus more on screen size, they ignore some of the other important aspects of the display. The screen resolution is an important factor to look for in a smartphone if you want a quality view of contents (pictures, videos, etc).
Screen resolution is the degree of sharpness of your screen contents. It is measured in pixels. With higher number of pixels, you get very sharp/clear objects on screen.
While a 720 x 1640 pixel screen resolution will do just fine, you’d get a better visual display on a 1080 x 2160 pixels screen resolution. So, if you want better visual contents on your screen, aim for 1080 x 2160 pixels screen resolution devices
Smartphone cameras come after the screen, of course, both work hand in hand. Without a quality screen performance, you should expect less from your camera.
If you’re a photography person, then, you should be very careful when choosing a phone based on the camera. Even Google Pixel 4XL 12MP camera has a better photo and video quality when compared to most of the new 48MP and 64MP devices.
Although camera ratings are mostly pertaining to “megapixels,” they’re other important factors to be considered when taking a picture. The camera sensor, screen resolution I mentioned earlier, depth, how wide, aperture, exposure, angle, and more contribute to the quality of the picture that is
The processor plays a very important role in your smartphone but quite a number of people are ignorant about this. It is what executes all the operations of your smartphone ranging from simple phone activities to complex and multi-tasking activities that are meant to be done at once. When buying a new smartphone, you should go for the ones with a high number of processors because more processor means faster execution time and smooth performance of the device.
The RAM, of course, gives the smartphone a performance boost. Due to Android’s memory hog nature, you should buy a smartphone with at least 3GB RAM for a smooth experience.
Also, you want to consider the amount of storage on a device. If you’re not like me who prefers to stream all my kind of music online and don’t keep videos on my phone, I think a 32GB storage would do just fine. But if you’re a photography lover and want more space to install plenty of applications, store videos, photos, files, and whatever is storable on the phone memory, then a 64GB smartphone should be a good start.
- ANDROID VERSION
Yes, the Android version is also an important factor to look at when choosing a new smartphone in 2020. You should buy a new smartphone with the latest OS version since a much lower version lacks most of the capability of handling newer apps and functions.
You should also make sure the manufacturer of the phone you’re going to buy provide OS upgrades for your device whenever they’re available. This will help you boost the device performance while also keeping with the latest trend
We all want a smartphone that can last for a very long hour, this is why the smartphone battery is a very important feature you need to consider before buying a new phone.
Smartphones’ battery life has really improved over the past few years and can still be improved on. Smartphones battery are measured and rated in MAh (Milliamp).
I recommend a 4000, 5000, or 6000mah battery if you want a phone that will last you through the day and good life span. You should also note that the life span of the battery depends on how you use it.
BEST RUGGED SMARTPHONES
Ulefone Armor 9 smartphone is the latest unlocked rugged smartphone are built strong to withstand harsh conditions and rough handling, equipped with the new Octa Core Process. The integrated FLIR thermal imaging camera, with MSX technology, on the Ulefone Armor 9 outdoor smartphones can detect objects in the scene and create thermal images based on temperature. You will be able to see abnormalities such as heat loss or gain, find animals or people in the dark and quickly diagnose and resolve problems. A thermal imaging camera can play an important role in electrical and pipeline maintenance, outdoor adventures, emergency rescues, or more.
- Thermal Imaging Module: FLIR Lepton 2.5, 80X60, 50° HFOV, radiometric
- Sensor Technology: Uncooled VOx microbolometer
- Effective Frame Rate: 8.6 Hz (commercial application exportable)
- Input Clock: 25-MHz nominal, CMOS IO Voltage Levels
- Output Format: User-selectable 14-bit, 8-bit (AGC applied), or 24-bit RGB (AGC and colorization applied)
- Pixel Size: 17 µm
- Scene Dynamic Range: -10-140 °C (high gain); up to 400°C (low gain) typical
- Optimum Temperature Range: -10°C to +80°C
- Array format: 80 × 60, progressive
- This product is available with this link
BV9900 Pro is an ultra-rugged 4g rugged smartphone made of Ultra Hybrid of Metal and TPU! Which made it is a device against the rigor of your job site but also meet your sports outdoor smartphone needs.
It is a device against the rigor of your job site but also meets your sports outdoor smartphone needs. Such as Firemen, Lumberjacks, Construction Workers, Car Mechanics, Miner, Policemen, and Sailors. Also an excellent companion for Outdoor Enthusiasts like Rock Climbing, Mountaineers, Surfers and other outdoor activities.
- OS: Android 9.0
- CPU: Helio P90 Two ARM Cortex-A75 cores operating at2.2GHz
- Six ARM Cortex-A55 cores operating at 2.0GHz
- GPU: IMG 9xm-hp8 970MHZ
- Screen Size: 5.84 inches 19:9 FHD + IPS 1080*2280 Water-Drop Screen
- Water Resistance: IP68 Waterproof
- USB connector type: TYPE-C
- Bluetooth version & spec: BT5.0
- Dual SIM slot: 2 Nano SIM card OR 1 Nano SIM card + TF card (Up to 128G, not included)
Support:NFC,Bluetooth,Compass,GPS+GLONASS+beidou+Galileo,Sensors(Proximity,Light,G-sensor),Gesture,OTG,FM,Gyroscope,Magnetic,Air Pressure sensor, Fingerprint, Facial Recognition, Temperature humidity sensor, Coulomb Counter, Heart rate monitoring, wireless fast charging.
If you need a rugged smartphone, the CAT S62 Pro is your ultimate work phone. It goes beyond being rugged with its IP68 and Mil-Spec 810H design ensuring it is resistant to dust and water. The sought after FLIR thermal imaging is a must for many workers, offering the ability to check the temperature in their surroundings. It comes with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 processor and benefits from 6GB of RAM and 128GB of internal storage. So, you can take advantage of the latest apps and can quickly switch between them. Performance With its Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 2.0 GHz Octo core processor and 6GB of RAM, the CAT S62 Pro outperforms its rugged competitors. With all the performance and efficiency, you need to run the latest apps and be able to multitask.
DOOGEE S59 Pro smartphone has passed the most strict IP68/IP69K & United States Military MIL-STD-810G, surviving 30 minutes of immersion in 1.5 meters of water, 24 hours of concrete submission under 1 meter, and drop from 1.2 meters.
The comprehensive protection of DOOGEE S59 Pro makes you focus on the work or activities without worries. A 10050mAh big battery promises long time use and stands by your side for 3 -4 Days without charge.
12V/2A 24W fast charging technology, a full charge will only need a short time, keeping your power on all the time. And wireless charge function enables more efficient charging and saves the tangled mass of USB cables.
Weight/Dimensions: 340g / 162.8*81.0*15.9mm
- Protection Grade: IP68 / IP69K/ MTL-810G, waterproof, dustproof, shockproof, high and low temperature resistance
- Cameras: Rear Cameras 16MP+8MP+8MP+2MP, Front Camera 16MP
- Storage: 4GB RAM + 128GB ROM, supports 256GB of extension
- Processor: octa core；4x Cortex-A53 2.0GHz + 4x Cortex-A53 1.5GHz
- Operating system: Android 10.0
- Battery: 10050mAh battery 12V/2A
- Display: 5.71” Corning Gorilla Glass, 720*1520 HD+, 295PPI
- SIM Card: Dual SIM Cards Standby or One Nano-SIM + TF Card
- Support: NFC; Face + Fingerprint Unlocking; OTG; Navigation; G-sensor; Proximity sensor; Ambient light senor; Compass (magnetic); Geomagnetism; Gyroscope; Compass; Sound Meter, Flashlight.
OUKITEL WP8 Pro 4g phone has a solid body and alloy frame structure. The front is covered with scratch and drop resistant Corning Gorilla Glass 3. When falling from a height of 1.5M, it can still be intact, allowing you to feel the sturdy side of WP8 Pro. The three-proof anti-compression and anti-fall structure greatly improves the performance and effectively protects the body. OUKITEL WP8 Pro rugged smartphone has an MT6762D eight-core processor with 4GB of running memory, so that WP8 PRO outdoor smartphone has a faster running speed and smooth application experience. 64GB of body memory, and support additional 256GB of memory expansion via SD card to accommodate all the content you want, run more APP storage memory, Facebook, photos, videos, games, music, install your favorite apps in the mobile phone, bid farewell to the trouble of insufficient memory, the long-term experience is smoother and more intimate.
- IP69K/IP68/MIL-STD-810G,anti-drop, anti-pressure, anti-scratch, sturdy and durable, strengthened body dust-proof, high sealing standard effectively prevents sand and dust from entering the phone and can be used normally under special environments
- 6.49 Inch Large display makes you feel like you are on the scene when watching videos and playing games. If you like to watch media, play games and even read anytime, anywhere, then WP8 Pro is a good choice.
- 5000mAh Large Battery using safer, longer life lithium battery, longer standby time, safer and more durable
- GPS & GLONASS, with precise positioning sensors, can help you locate your position no matter where you are, even in remote places
- Fingerprint recognition and face unlocking Side fingerprint unlocking design, just touch to unlock. When the screen is turned on, you can quickly detect multiple feature dimensions of the face, and perform high-precision intelligent matching, and complete the unlocking process in an instant
- Custom keys, you can quickly access your personal favorite content through three different scenarios such as single-click, double-click, and long-press. These can be set through the custom keys in the menu.
These tougher than average phones were made to aim at lifestyles and occupations. Other feeble phones won’t survive a day where an arduous phone is a necessity, such as construction and other outdoor activities. These phones are strong, reliable, and durable depending on the nature of work you do